Ignition Modules

JTesta1966 at aol.com JTesta1966 at aol.com
Tue Jul 27 12:33:03 GMT 1999

Ok..I have a question for you guys.

Now this is more directed at parts/construction knowledge than ECM hacking,
so you EE's put yer thinking hats on :-)

I have a 1986 Buick GN, many years ago I had a ignition module fail.
Aftermarket sources listed the same part for the NA and Turbo cars, where GM
listed seperate numbers. I think this is similar to the MAF debate.
Aftermarket generalizes them. Knowing theres no real *control* in the module
(the ECM pulses or varies voltage on (DC%) the EST wire for timing
adjustments right?) What could be different in these modules. Seems after the
swap, (I used an aftermarket one) my car seemed more prone to ping (although
it could be my imagination). Just kinda got me thinking if there WERE any
timing references in the module, or maybe the crank TDC offset was in the
module (I know theres a setting in the prom, but I'd think that assumes you
got the right module right?) Anyone have any insight? Dan SMith? Fred B? you
guys seem on a component level as well as a programming level...any thoughts?

Jim