Ignition Modules

JTesta1966 at aol.com JTesta1966 at aol.com
Wed Jul 28 13:57:32 GMT 1999

In a message dated 7/28/99 9:23:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
frederic at xephic.dynip.com writes:

<< So, its how long the points are closed, which controls how the ignition
 coil charges and collapses magnetically.  But you have DIS, so I would
 imaging the principle is the same, but I'm not so sure that its quite
 the same thing. >>

Well, its the dwell that allows the coil to build up to saturation. In a
points car, you equate too long dwell to slightly advancwed timing (due to
the fact the dist cam opens the points, collpsing the coils field thus
creating spark) by the fact the points are opening earlier (sooner) in
relation to TDC, same for short a dwell (retarded). maybe I got em backwards,
but you get the jist. Now, equating this to a DIS car, where the dist points
cam is done "electronically" I can see how the manufaturer could change this
dwell, which as a matter of fact, might be changed according to driving
conditions. Maybe a longer dwell to let the coil build up for extra energy as
in idle or cruise, where'd you want a hotter spark, and shorter for less
spark on decel maybe...anyway, point is, if dwell *IS* different from OE to
aftermarket, that could cause performance probs. *IF* its different, and I
dont know for sure.

JIm