68HC11

steve ravet Steve.Ravet at arm.com
Mon Jun 14 17:56:02 GMT 1999

Shannen Durphey wrote:

> Tom Sharpe wrote:
> >
> > > From: Bruce Plecan <nacelp at bright.net>
> > > To: gmecm at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu <gmecm at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu>
> > > Date: Sunday, May 30, 1999 7:09 PM
> > > Subject: 68HC11

> > Bruce. I've been over this issue and suggest the HC12 because it's faster, has a
> > BDM connection, and is instruction compatable with the HC11.
> <snip>
>
> You're already mentioning stuff that's beyond us wrenching types.
> What's a BDM connection?

BDM means "background debugging mode".  It's a few pins on the processor
that allow you to do debugging from outside the chip.  From the BDM port
you can halt the CPU, read/write the registers, read/write any memory in
the system, set breakpoints in the code, etc. etc. etc.  Lots of
processors have them, they're all the same idea but none are compatible
with each other.

Usually there's an interface board that connects between the processor
and a PC, and some debugging software on the PC that lets you see what's
going on.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet