Codes and Torque convertor lockup

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Jun 15 01:17:52 GMT 1999

Roger Heflin wrote:

> A story from the f-body list, this was I believe with a 97 f-body,
> someone with 94-95 code may want to check and see if there is a
> similar code in theirs and how the computer reacts if that code is
> set.  I did not see a code like this in the 93 computer.
>
>                                 Roger
>
> On my way up to St Louis last week, I had driven around 400-450 miles
> when I noticed that the RPMs moved around a little too much when
> giving it gas.  Tapping the brake pedal briefly
> confirmed that the torque converter wasn't locking up.  Oof.  Pulled
> over to the side of the  road, killed the engine, started it back up,
> took it up to 85-90 and it still wasn't locking up.
>  Didn't set the SES light off, though.

96+ Vehicles do not illuminate the SES unless the failure is going to
affect emissions.  Your trans can burn up, and no SES.  But if you
leave the fuel cap loose, the pesky dash lamp comes on to remind you.
There are 3 types of trouble codes, A, B, C.  Trans codes may fall
under C, non emissions related.  It's been a while since I've used
this.  I think the A codes will light the SES light when engine
operation can damage the converter, or when emissions are 1 1/2 times
normal amounts.  B codes store a failure flag on the first occasion,
then illuminate the SES on the second subsequent failure, and keep the
light on until a certain number of non-failure drive cycles are
completed.

Hopefully someone can correct what's wrong.
Shannen