Hello group

dhardin at ovec.com dhardin at ovec.com
Wed Jun 16 20:05:49 GMT 1999

Hello,  My name is Doug Hardin and I'm new to your list.  I hope this
e-mail gets through without a bunch of junk and its readable.  I've been
reading this list for quite some time and I did not want to get in the way,
but I just can't stand it anymore, I've got to add to the discussion.  I am
an Electrical Eng. (please don't hold that against me...haha) and I work in
a coal fired power plant.  My main specialties are PLCs and controllers
etc.  So it makes sense that I would want to mess with my car too!  I' ve
got a 88 Chevy z24 with a 2.8 and 188K miles on it.  Been a great car, but
I think it can be better.  namely a little more HP.  I noticed that the
group wanted to disassemble some of the V6 stuff so I'm am voluntieering
for that job.  I noticed that a V6 bin (AZTY) is on the FTP site has anyone
disassembled or hacked it?  My car is bin ARDC.  I have been hacking it on
my own for about a year and a half.  I got most of my information from the
ECM guy's page and learned much from the 727 hacked chip he has there.  The
code is similiar in many ways.  It was a huge help.
     Just but a few days ago I went to a yard-sale of a new family that
moved into my neighborhood.  He said that he used to work for GM.  Anyway
he was not directly involved in the ECM stuff but was close by to the
engineers.  He was going to call his friends for me and get the source code
for my Z24.  He said that those guys all wrote their own software for each
car depending on who got assigned to what car and that is why the code
varies between models.  He also said that in those years all of the bin
files were hand assembled....no higher language was used.  He also said
that the newer models will be using a new seimens chip and a totally new
language that they have developed.  It's going to get harder on us not to
mention OBDII.
     Anyway I will be willing to share with the group what I find out on
the V6 bins, since you all have been so helpful to me.