Tuning continued...

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Thu Jun 17 14:35:37 GMT 1999

Very lean mixtures burn slowly and ignite the intake when the intake valve
opens.  I have only had exhaust popping when there was misfire and
accumulated fuel explodes.  I suppose this could also be caused by a lean
mixture.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>

> ALSO found out that a lean condition can result in popping out the
> exhaust as well!!
>
> Any technical expertise as to why this occurs?
>
> You'd THINK that if the a/f ratio was lean, REALLY lean, that
> predetonation would occur, however, it seems that the opposite is
> true...
>
> And the popping actually occurs out the exhaust!!
>
> Maybe the mixture was SO lean that the spark couldn't ingite the mixture
> whilst it was in the chamber but COULD once it was in a lower pressure
> environment outside the chamber in the exhaust system???
>
> Just a thought...
>
> Great discussion on troubleshootin/tunin...
>
> Keep it up!
>
> Learnin a lot... as always....
>
> LATER!
>
> Todd....
>
> http://www.c-com.net/~atc347/toddlnk.htm
>
> christer.medin at lennoxintl.com wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, we were wondering if maybe the advance was too much, but it's
fairly conservative - 36 degrees at 3000RPM.  Good info about the wires, if
the plugs are ok, I guess we can just swap the stock wires back in and see
if it makes a difference. Thanks.