It runs now! (pulls liike a beast too)

Todd....!! atc347 at c-com.net
Fri Jun 18 15:07:00 GMT 1999

The MOST common symptoms of a rotor phasing problem with the distibutor
is popping or backfiring out the intake due to spark cross firing within
the distributor cap due to the rotor's tip getting closer to the next
cylinders' spark plug connection within the cap itself, this problem
only occurs at full or close to full advance(38 or so degrees)...

If it TRULY IS a rotor phasing problem then the rotor or the reluctor
must be moved a few degrees in the correct direction(Rotor in the
Retarded direction, reluctor in the advancing direction) to correct the
cross firing ignition problem....

Big Block Mopar Electronic distributors tend to have a rotor phasing
problem as well...

The way most people can tell if the rotor phasing is a problem or not,
is they just disconnect the vacuum advance hose, plug the vacuum, then
run the engine up to speed(To whatever rpm ALL the advance is kicked
in), if the popping/backfiring ceases.  Then it is usually a rotor
phasing issue that's the culprit...

You can phase the reluctor correctly yourself, with maybe a file or
dremel or the like and cut a new grove in the reluctor so that the rotor
is phased to as 'correct' as you dare to correct it or send it out to a
machine shop that knows what they're doin as well...

It costs about $20 to ship the lil star shaped Mopar reluctor to the
machine shop, have it machined for 3 different degrees(5, 10 15 degrees)
and shipped back.... May be worth sendin if you're not sure what to
do...

There's a guy in Houston here that can do the Mopar piece, if shown the
diagram, which Mopar Performance Mag or the like posted in one of their
tech articles...

Other than this lil stumble, sounds like you have one cool injected ride
on hour hands!!  Keep it up!

So, you're thinkin of a haltech, ey?

Keep us informed of that project as well, if you please?

Later!

Todd....!!
http://www.c-com.net/~atc347/toddlnk.htm