3d table display program? / PROM relabeling?!

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Jun 30 19:06:01 GMT 1999

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 01:39:10PM -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
> > The LT5 was the 32 valve engine that Lotus designed for GM, and yes, the
> > 16209008 p/n is from a 93 and later LT5.  Very unique engine.
> >
> Mecury Marine built the engine for GM.

Yep.  And as Bruce pointed out, it is 5.7L.
I believe the L05 mentioned above was a typo somewhere along the line.
Believe me, this prom wouldn't be used in any other application except
the LT5.

> Considering that they could have reprogrammed that chip several times,
> pretty much anything that used the same size of prom, I would guess
> probably not even the same computer.  How big of prom is it?

It's a 32kbitx8 made by Fairchild.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure the label hadn't been removed - I'd be
willing to wager a small bet on that.  So, that means that the
broadcast code 7196, p/n 16144895 label was either put on by mistake
by some human, or someone hit the wrong "go" button on the label machine.
In either case, they discovered the problem before it got out of the
door, so they simply put two more labels over the incorrect one.

> The computer I am working on is the one in a 92-93 LT1 f/y body car,
> and has numbers 16159278, and has a 32KB prom.

Yep.  The label on the bottom was for a car/ECM from before 1992, but
the label was put on that chip sometime in 1997 or 1998.  I know the
label was put on after Jun 97, because that is the date code printed on
the top of the chip (9720).  So, what car would GM have made from
1991 through 1997, without any EPROM modifications?  That's the real
puzzle, in my mind.

Have fun,

   Marc

--