Cam Swap

Rich Vandervoort richvandervoort at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 30 19:19:19 GMT 1999

I just swapped the cam out in my 94 Sonoma with a TBI 4.3 the
results were very unspectacular, nearly imperceptible.  I went from a
cam with a 110 degree centerline, 179 intake / 194 exhaust degrees
duration @.050 and .349 intake and .384 exhaust lift to 112 degree
centerline, 207 intake / 207 exhaust degrees duration @.050 and .442
intake and .442 exhaust lift.  A K&N filter is the only other
powertrain mod.  Do I need to do a VCM retune to realise benefits from
this cam swap or are further hardware modifications in order.  I am
also thinking about using a degree wheel to make sure the cam grinder
phased the cam properly although since it is a regrind it would be
nearly impossible to get the timing too far out.