Cam Swap

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 30 19:35:47 GMT 1999

At 12:19 PM 6/30/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I just swapped the cam out in my 94 Sonoma with a TBI 4.3 the
>results were very unspectacular, nearly imperceptible.  I went from a
>cam with a 110 degree centerline, 179 intake / 194 exhaust degrees
>duration @.050 and .349 intake and .384 exhaust lift to 112 degree
>centerline, 207 intake / 207 exhaust degrees duration @.050 and .442
>intake and .442 exhaust lift.  A K&N filter is the only other
>powertrain mod.  Do I need to do a VCM retune to realise benefits from
>this cam swap or are further hardware modifications in order.  I am
>also thinking about using a degree wheel to make sure the cam grinder
>phased the cam properly although since it is a regrind it would be
>nearly impossible to get the timing too far out.

if the exhaust is still stock, that could be the "cork" holding the genie
in.  I put a set of Edelbrock TES headers on a 93 GMC Jimmy with the 4.3
and added a 3" cat back exhaust with Walker Ultra-Flow muffler... Just
that, a 180 thermostat and a K&N dropped it to 14.7's in the 1/4 mile.  The
added duration/lift of the cam won't be realized untill you open up any
restrictions (Exhaust) then you may need to retune the chip to deliver more
fuel for the added breathing.
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
   Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!