More EPROM Emulator ideas

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Tue Mar 2 17:46:24 GMT 1999

steve ravet wrote:

> That's good that IDT has the big memories in nice packages.  I thought
> from looking that it was only 32K and below.

The IDT7008 (64K*8) data sheet shows a PLCC pinout, and lists PLCC ("J")
as a package choice.  Perhaps distributors don't carry this package.

> The SARAM is a
> good idea also but, would require 4, plus being sequential you'd have to
> download the whole image each time.

The address for the sequential side can be set.  It is possible to
read/write random blocks or even bytes.  OTOH, expanding the depth with
multiple chips doesn't seem easy.

> I like the DPRAM still.

Yup - it just seems like the right solution.

> What if we
> dumped the flash and went with a battery backed DPRAM approach.

Good idea.  It also reduces the cost.

This does require some extra circuitry to keep the DPRAM deselected and
in a low power state while everything else around it is unpowered.

> Did we ever find anyone to do the schematic capture/layout?

Who created the efi332 board "artwork"?