EST Problem.

Richard Wakeling kojab at ar.com.au
Mon Mar 15 23:47:22 GMT 1999

Hi All,
	Have been stuck on a problem for a few weeks now. I cant find the
answer for it.
	I am trying to modify a V8 memcal BFPM (256K Eprom) to run in my 4
cylinder Toyota. The BFPM is one of the high speed (8192) ALDL programs
used in Australia.
	The problem is when I change the "Static Advance Angle" from 60 deg
(0xAB) to 10 deg (0x1C) to suit the 4 cylinder distributor I then dont
get any EST change (no adva    . ALDL Data shows normal spark advance
but on the Test bench and in the car there is virtually no Advance. If I
use a hex value closer to AB I then begin to get the Advance back but
the Static Advance Angle is then incorrect.
	I have spent considerable time trying to overcome this problem and it
would appear that the hex Loc I am changing gives the impression that it
is the byte for "Max advance allowable" but I am sure it is not as it
does change the Static advance angle.
	I had previously modified the triger point on the toyota distributor
for different Static advance angles but if I use the 60 deg
position as with the V8 I do get normal advance but the idle is very
poor and I would suspect that this is due to the fact that the
injectors  are now opening 50 deg earlier.

	Appreciate any help

Cheers Richard.