Interfacing with GM '96-'97...

Greathouse, David (GEP, WAS) David.Greathouse at gepex.ge.com
Mon Mar 22 18:08:15 GMT 1999

All:

Hello, I am extremely new to this list but not to microprocessor electronics
OR Motorola assembler...

I searched for a FAQ for this group but came up empty. That said, I would like
to ask for indulgence for my apparent ignorance and rehashing of anything that
might be "old stuff"

I currently own a '96 GMC Suburban and a '97 GMC Sierra both have "flashable"
engine management systems (350 Vortech).  I would like to reprogram some of
the functions so that I can remove the top-speed limiter, change shift points,
etc...

I guess I would like to know where to start with building an interface for the
ALDL connector so that I can hook up a computer.  Does anyone have any
information on an interface?  Is there a place I can go to download the info I
need?
I know that what I would like to do is possible.  Hypertech sells a programmer
for my vehicle for $350..  The bad thing is you can only use it on ONE vehicle
at a time.

TIA

Dave G