Interfacing with GM '96-'97...

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 22 18:11:57 GMT 1999

Dave,
The 96 and up vehicles use OBD_II for the interface.  No more ALDL
interfaces being used per federal reg's.
The problem with OBD_II is that there is some security built in for
accessing some of the parameters.
Best bet to start for info is the SAE.  Their handbook, HS-3000 covers the
whole spectrum of OBD_II from the interface, contents of the comm packets
and even the scantool interface.
There are several places on the web with OBD_II interfaces fairly
inexpensive that may do what you want and are not limited to one vehicle.
http://www.obd-2.com/
http://www.obdii.com/

Take care,
Dave