Digital Dash Compatibility

Terry/Carol Kelley terryk at foothill.net
Thu Mar 25 02:15:40 GMT 1999

The ECM will continuously output the dash stream as a message with some ID
(so the dash knows the stream is meant for it). It may take more than one
message. The message scheduler will rotate through a list of messages for
different modules and repeat this list. In between these messages, the ECM
listens for a "shut the hell up" command. When it gets this, it will pause
and wait for an ALDL request. Alternately, the ECM may just look for an ALDL
request (dump the diag list), halt the current message and output the ALDL
stream. I doubt seriously that the dash makes it's request this way and that
it is just listening to messages from the scheduler.

In the Vette it appears that the DIS stream is:

Number of cylinders
Accumulated fuel used
Accumulated distance

This doesn't contain the MPH and RPM so maybe the ECM ouputs the ALDL stream
alternately. It appears the Vette outputs the DIS in 160 baud mode, but can
be switched to 8192. Depending on the year of the dash, it may be 160 or
8192. This is were the work comes in.

Regards

Terry Kelley