MAP / MAF / Grain of Salt...

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sat Mar 27 19:09:43 GMT 1999

>Tpis also says a modified maf will flow 750 cfm and I have flowed one on a
>superflow 600 and modified maf flowed 796 cfm (589cfm at 11").  I show 255
>grams/sec (Which is the max it will measure) at 4600-4700 rpm's.  As long as
>peak torque is below the max flow you should be able to tune the engine to
>run fine with a 165 ecm.
>Mark

Be pretty non-productive to put anything as restrictive as an 11" pressure
drop that you do NOT have to have before a turbo compressor inlet. It just
serves to increase (fairly impressively) the pressure ratio that the turbo
must work at in order to make a given level of boost--this makes the outlet
air hotter, requires a bigger IC, , requires more power out of the turbine
to turn the compressor, requires more back-pressure on the motor, makes the
motor run hotter, and makes detonation appear sooner. None of these are
good things, but you knew that!!

Regards, Greg