MAF History

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 28 14:37:53 GMT 1999

Ward wrote:

> If I wanted to use a MAF I would use the newer PCM that is used in MY94 - 95
> F and Y cars, Its an under hood design, making wiring a lot simpler, It's a
> flash device eliminating EPROM's. Its re programmed via the ALDL connector
> at 8192 baud. Has the ability to handle any kind of transmission and
> excellent diagnostics.  Sort of like using your old AT to your P2 PC.

Just curious... Is it possible to adapt an older style distributor
(non-optical-pulse) for inputs to these PCM's? The LT1's/LT4's have a
camshaft pin based opti-puke... err, optispark optical distributor
mounted just under the water pump on the front of the motor, that has a
nasty habit of failing (very susceptible to moisture damage - and it's
mounted under the water pump? ;) ). I doubt they'd want to put an
optispark on their motor, so, a conventional distributor would be
required...

(Thinking out loud... I suppose that you could give some kind of pulses
off of a crank trigger... I think that's what Electromotive does with
their opti-eliminator kit... Costs good $$, though...)

-Andrew