O2 consentration

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Sat May 8 12:52:46 GMT 1999

On Sat, 8 May 1999, Bruce Plecan wrote:

> Does anyone have, or heard any solid numbers how O2 concentrations can
> vary?.  No, not as a function of temp/pressure but just as it atmosphere is
> not perfectly mixed.
>    There has been mention of how hard the AA/F cars can set the clutches at
> Pamona, and that is due to the lower HP, cause LA is usually lower in O2
> consentration.
>   Again, not due to temperture, or Pressure.
> There is a new "weather station" kit out for this very issue in case ya'll
> haven't heard
> Sneezy

Atmospheric pressure - partial pressure of water vapor
(relative humidity at temp or dew point is enough to calculate this)

A program I wrote calculates the appx O2 in the air (it is a guess) by
taking standard atm pressure and lowering atm pressure based on temp,
and then removing removing the partial pressure of water vapor.  The
partial pressure of the water vapor can be upwards of 1/3-1/2 psi of
pressure being removed, so it can remove almost 3% of the total amount
of oxygen in the air, by reducing the pressure.  With temp and
humidity (or dew point) I have been able to pretty accurately predict
how fast my car is going to run.

			Roger