Newbie: Fiero ECM questions

Marc van der Vossen marc at vdvossen.cistron.nl
Sat May 15 17:47:30 GMT 1999

<multiple reply....>

>For those that have seen the Fiero SD code and it's brother the 85 Mass
code
>(they were backups to each other should one fail EPA certification), it is
>beast like nothing else. Both the tables and the program are different.
>Maybe the Fiero follows some older C3 carb code, but I've never seen
>anything that compares.

What do you mean by beast? Good or bad ? I guess bad based on the last
sentence that fiero code might be based on Carb code.

>Blow on it. The 7170 codes supports a turbo.

My wallet doesn't ;-)))). I know there are a lot of upgrades for the Fiero.
Power isn't the most important for me. Much more important are brakes and
handling. The things I do not like about the Fiero Handling is the excessive
nose-dive while braking and the instability of the rear when slaloming. I do
have a rear sway bar and it does help a lot, but I am used to better
handling (my mothers BMW M3 for instance). As far as brakes, I like to brake
really late. Of course with better brakes I will be braking later, but it is
also for safety. I do not know If anyone of you have ever driven on dutch
roads, but you will know braking is very important overhere. Also I have
family in the US and they don't even think of driving a car overhere. They
think the roads are much to small and they are scared to death. This is
actually true. The roads are small, but no problem if you are used to it.

>As far as handling, better springs and swaybars does wonders. The 88
>suspension is better.

88 suspension is way better. Much stabler in slalom conditions and much less
dive when braking. I think stiffer springs (and lowered) will help a lot.

Take care,

Marc
marc at vdvossen.nl