Now what?

JTesta1966 at aol.com JTesta1966 at aol.com
Wed May 26 13:23:19 GMT 1999

In a message dated 5/25/99 5:19:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mpitts at netspeak.com writes:

<< Assuming the EPROM starts at 0x4000:

 XXXX: 00 0C 00 0D 40 00 40 02 01 1D 00 E0 00 01

 The above data could be reformatted to read:

 000C <- A RAM address
 000D <- A RAM address
 4000 <- A ROM address
 4001 <- A ROM address
 011D <- A RAM address
 00E0 <- A RAM address
 0001 <- A RAM address >>

Mike..how do you figure OUT that ones a ram addy, ones a ROM addy? Is it the
address/value that hints it? or is it the range of addresses that you KNOW by
having experience?

<<Then, if you know what the scan tool format is for the
particular application, you can reverse it as follows:

If the scan tool receives (FLAGS, FLAGS, CHIP ID, MAP, TPS, FLAGS, ...)

Your table would be:
000C <- FLAGS
000D <- FLAGS
4000 <- CHIPID HI
4001 <- CHIPID LO
011D <- MAP
00E0 <- TPS
0001 <- FLAGS>>

If you know how a scan tool works? You mean as in authoring turbolink kind of
know? Like spectrum analyser? or the actual programming part? Where can a
dimwit like me find this info? And would it apply to broadening my horizons
to different cars?

<<
You won't need to look at any asm code to do this kind
of reversing work>>

Sheesh..you guys are WAY above my head. I'll go back and just read awhile ;-P

Jim