Mo Assembly

Dave Z dzug at mail.delanet.com
Fri May 28 23:29:28 GMT 1999

I had posted this before.. but it seems appropriate to do it again
here. I made a clever little patch to a car I used to have that
allowed 2 (and later, more) different performance setups to reside on
one single chip (no need to change them out for the good gas)

WARNING/DISCLAIMER: this info is intended for benchtop
or offroad use by hobbiests and the like.  there.

You need enough spare space on your chip to hold the tables / vars
you want to change, so if you have, say, an 89 camaro.. you'll have
to do a bit of physical work to get ready first.. cause the chip is
packed.

What I did, without posting code, was to simply insert a JSR just
after the checksun routine, by replacing the code that followed with
a JSR to a free location up high on the map. (dont forget to make the
first instruction in the new area the instruction(s) whose space you
used to insert the JSR)

Within the new subroutine, compare the TPS position with a 50%
value, and set a bit based on the results. ie full throttle at key-on
time = "hi perf mode" bit set.  You need a spare RAM location to do
this, or a spare BIT within a ram byte location.

RTS back, and let the normal stuff execute.. up until the SP(Program
execution) hits, oh say, the main spark table. Insert another JSR to the free
area again, and check the status of the "hi-perf" bit. If set, set
the LDX that normally points to the start position of the table to
another table that you have copied to the free area and modified for
higher performance or even "valet" performance.. a cruel joke on the
wife "this car's faster than this.. lemme drive!"

last, RTS back and skip over the normal LDX for that table if you
left that code there. allow the rest to execute.

If you spent ALOT of time, you could have several levels of
perfomance on a single chip with no thumbwheel, but I like that idea
as a more practical solution.. this "perf-bit" thing is an exercise
in ASM mods and puts you above the "table hunters" some refer to.
>From an 'X' table hunter, I say well you gotta start somewhere! so
phooey on you ;-) (the smiley means its a light hearted comment.. no
flaming please)

Sorry for the BW. My contribution for the month.

have fun.
Dave Z - 87 GN 12.74 @ 105 w/1.84 60'
               13.02 @ 103 on 94 octane
       - 89 IROC 5.7 Now Supercharged!