mystery motor

Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com
Mon Nov 1 16:15:39 GMT 1999

Well.. Page 110 of "The Fabulous Firebird "  John Z. DeLorean had ask race
driver/builder Jack Brabham and his Repco organization in Australia and
England to come up with a 5 liter overhead cam SCCA racing version of the
400 cid Pontiac V8.
Pontiac contracted with Repco to build five ohc v-8's in Australia. The
motor had to have a stud pattern to take Pontiac heads and use a Pontiac Wet
Sump. The block was designed by Repco and made in cast iron. Capacity was
five liters. The engine had single overhead cams driven by bushed Morse
chain. Heads were cast aluminum,and Lucas fuel injection was used.
Crankshafts were the single plane type (180 degree firing) . Northwest of
Melbourne, GM-Holden supplied us with a 1967 Firebird  on loan so we could
measure the engine compartment and determine mounting points. A car was
built up by GM Design Staff to accept the Repco engine. Horse power was
estimated at 470 HP.

The headers you have could have been for Dyno test only, since GM did intend
to put the Repco in a Firebird.  Check the General Motors Institute in Flint
Mich.  The Pontiac Historical Web page , and the Pontiac Web Ring on the
net.

Don