94 Camaro shifting problem

Jim Sloan leroy at sunflower.com
Tue Nov 2 02:59:58 GMT 1999

I have been helping a friend with a 94 Camaro Z28. It has a highly modded
355 LT1 that is fed by an ATI procharger and N2O. It does not shift gears at
WOT. He has used a Hypertech power programmer to adjust the shift
points, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It always goes to the rev
limiter (wherever it is set).  On part throttle driving, the tranny shifts
normally.  After talking to the guys at Hypertech, he sent the unit back to
have a new chip installed.  That did not work either. Then he went to a
custom tuner who uses MasterTune but could still not fix this problem.
He recently had the transmission rebuilt.  It is a 4L60E with a TransGo
shift kit, larger 2/4 band, mechanical diode, etc etc.  This problem
occurred before the motor and the tranny were built also.  At the same
time, he switched from a 2.73 to a 3.73 gear. They have not been able to get
it to shift at WOT, either.
TCC doesn't engage until around 80 mph even with the program set to lock up
much earlier.

It seems to run very strong, otherwise.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on this? Anything in the pcm we may be
overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Sloan
leroy at sunflower.com