94 Camaro shifting problem

Ken Kelly kenkelly at lucent.com
Wed Nov 3 16:25:51 GMT 1999

Jim,
	The other posters are correct. The PCM tells the Trans when
to shift. Trying to locate what the problem is requires time
sorting the mod list to understand when it started.

	As I understand it the problem started when you shifted to
3.73 gears. This would cause the problems you describe if
the PCM wasn't properly reprogrammed. The early HPP did have
problems with 4.10 gears, don't know if it applied to 3.73.
When you took it to someone with the TTS did they start with
a fresh copy of 16209471, or did they try to fix the
existing PCM firmware? If the HPP scrogged a table in the
PCM, he may have not caught it with the mastertune software.
I just finish writing software to do the gear scaling. To
change from a 2.73 to a 3.73 gear ratio in the 16188051, I
scale over 1000 bytes of data in the PCM. It is a really
complex and major change that effects both processors. The
transmission shift tables are stored in the PCM in MPH
units. They really should have been stored in output shaft
revolutions. Since they are in MPH all the tables have to be
rebuilt to rflect the new shift speeds.

		Ken