94 Camaro shifting problem

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 3 02:52:00 GMT 1999

At 08:33 PM 11/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, reading all the other responses, and the problem at hand I agree with
>mark! U need a shop manual and a tech 2. I working a dealership and judging
>what your saying, I think its internal ... the comments about gears, shift
>kits and the like are all wrong because u stated this problem happened before
>any mods were done. That trans really should not have a governor per say. its
>all done by the computer, their is some automatic reaction from simple
>hydraulics but thats about it. Probably a regulator or solenoid problem. u
>need to hook gauges up or get a tech 2 and see whats going on inside. All the
>mods don't sound like the problem, but they could be aggravating it. GM has
>had many problems with valve bodies in these later vehicles they a built
>sooooo tight toleranced that a little grit sticks stuff up, I've replaced a
>few.... If u want any shop manual specifics get me a VIN and I'll see what I
>can do, they have been making mid production changes so its important to know
>these things.

Actually, the 4L60E still has a governor.
It's a failsafe to ensure the trans doesn't stick in 1st and blow the
engine.  It will override the shifter position and force the shift when it
reaches it's designed speed.  The other problems, IE late lockup, are most
likely from the 3.73 rear gears if the VSS hasn't been re-geared and the
PCM hasn't been programmed with the new ratio.

            David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
    Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!