TBI tomfoolery (was cam duration)

CSH-HQ nacelp at jvlnet.com
Sun Nov 7 22:52:11 GMT 1999

>Actually, I'm planning to eventually go to a Torker single plane (have one),
>and port injection. Might stay with the '747, might do to a '730, don't know
>yet. '730 has definite advantages.

FWIW, the best sneeky manifold I've found is a Weiand 7225.  Single plane
w/EGR that when painted black almost looks stock, kinda lame down low, but
with a 2800 stall converter is nice.

>Right now, I have a Performer RPM (dual plane) on the car, and a 5.7L TBI
>ready to bolt on.

One thing I never liked with a dual plane, you wind up with four pairs of
matched runners.  Engine is never right.  Always a compromise.

>I think this is the second time in a couple of days you mentioned a vacuum
>referenced FPR for a TBI. I'm not sure of the reason for it, as your adding
>another tuning variable. Fuel pressure and injector flow changes with manifold
>pressure. In port injection it's done to eliminate a tuning variable.

Running large injectors on my TBI took using two FPRs.  One vacuum
referenced, and a second to clip max FP.  Was the only way at the time to
get the motor to pull cleanly.  Light car gears loose converter takes alot
of intial fuel.

>You know', one of those Smokey cross ram jobs would be kinda cool
>with dual two-bbl TBI's.

With the way the plenum is the difference in velocity really isn't an issue.
and the cross fire I got has 2 butterflies already installed,

 You wouldn't know where I could get one,
>would ya'? <g> I could easily go this way.

Found it on eBay, won't talk about the price, but it's good, and the only
one I've seen in 15+ years.
agrumpy