GM CalPak Question

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Mon Nov 8 04:52:44 GMT 1999

JTesta1966 at aol.com wrote:

> Is there a way to set up the calpak in a GM car. Specifically a GN? (1227148
> ECM)
>
> I ask because it would be nice to be able to program backup fuel so if there
> was a serious problem, (ie: prom failure) and you had say 55# injectors, you
> wouldnt wash down the motor. I understand the calpak is a resistor bank??
> (From a pretty decent source, but *could* be wrong I guess) Is there a way to
> change the InjConst used in there?? Or doesn anyone know what, if anything,
> can be done?

Check out my web page schematics for the 1226864, 1227170, and 1228746.
Pay attention to the RFD (RedundantFuelDevice) chip and it's connections
to the CALPAK.  The '6864 doesn't use a CALPAK.  Instead it has resistor
networks included on the ECM PCB.  This makes it a good reference for
how the RFD chip is hooked up.

MAP C3s and MAF C3s use different RFD chips (at least 1227170 vs
1226870) with slightly different circuits.

A test bench like Bruce's would be useful to figure out custom CALPAKs.
Hmmm, maybe a welcome home gift is in order.