Using TBI on moded 5.7

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Wed Nov 10 02:05:12 GMT 1999

Yup, I agree with raising the TBI injectors to make the spray cone miss the
blades, even with a stock GM 2" dual TBI.   You will have to grind away some
of the throttle body casting material in order to raise the fuel injector
pod sufficiently (the fuel fittings will hit a portion of the casting near
the back).   About  0.25" works well.

GM introduced a bandaid "sort-of" fix for this same problem in the 93-95+
production 454's.  In some of the TBI manifolds they installed a drop tube
down the shorter of the two plenums.  The drop tube contained a small sheet
metal deflector which would supposedly "unpaddle" the fuel away from the
rear cylinders toward the front cylinders.

Raising the injectors helps "both" plenums, and works more effectively than
the paddle.  Increased fuel pressure also has a slight effect upon the cone
angle (wider) and strength of the spray, which helps a small amount.

Walt.

PS:  Grumpy, have not forgot about the increased pressure constant/EGR mass
message.  I just type really slow........