CarBytes - MAX232 circuit

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 10 13:59:14 GMT 1999

At 07:16 AM 11/10/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>You can't use transistors very easy because the edges of a rs232  signal must
>have a slow rise time and fall time. If this part of the rs232 spec. is not
>followed on long runs of cable  you can get cross talk on the rs232 lines
>and get
>garbage on your receive line. In most cases I have found short runs (under
>6ft )
>work ok most of the time. Make life easy use a max232 ic .If you want my
>circuit
>I will post it but none of these circuits are rocket science

The transistors are on the ALDL bus side.  They are there to combine the
TTL RX/TX signals from the MAX232 to a single line.  They reduce the load
on the bus as well.  RS232 side of the MAX232 goes straight to the PC.
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!