[admin] What next.... (MUST READ)

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Thu Nov 11 05:18:24 GMT 1999

I can't say I can provide any server space, but I do have a general comment
to make... at the risk of starting a possible flame war.  <donning abestos
underware...>   Note that I'm *NOT* finger pointing.  This is just a
observation.

>Currently, the membership is 795 on DIY_EFI, 433 on efi332, and 282 on
>gmecm. Traffic is on the order of 795*17k + 433*10k + 282*80k =
>40MBytes+ (on heavy days more like 120M) of email a day. List
>functions currently include web w/cgi, anonymous ftp, and mail server.

Notice the average size on the GMECM list - it's over 4 times the size of
the DIY_EFI list.  This could be greatly cut down by trimming replies, and
also cutting down on numerous "me too" or messages which could be sent
off-list.   I'm no longer using Pine remotely on my ISP's server, and
d/ling 30 messages at a time on a windows box using Eudora is s-l-o-w so at
least I notice it    It seems now that everyone has higher speed access no
one trims messages or watches bandwidth like they used to....

Not that this has any direct effect on server hosting costs, but less
traffic can mean lower cost, and less disk space for sure.

--> Bob Valentine
--> bob at tecmark.com