DIS was caddy-olds and the buick v6

Mika Helander mika_helander at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 17:07:27 GMT 1999

What I don't like about implementation of the DIS systems (aftermarket ones)
is that in cold weather country like Finland I'm living is that if engine
must be turned at least one (in some cases two) rounds to fire cylinder
first time in that case the battery voltage can be too low to turn engine or
give enough fuel pressure or spark to start it!

I remember my brother's Opel Ascona 1.9L bored to 2.0L. He was in army, the
ambient had been below -25C at least a week. Well, temp was -35C, he pushed
throttle couple of times (at least two weeks from last start), turned the
key and engine very slowly turned to first TDC and vola. Of course
carbureted and having vacuum/points distributor...

I "feel" this turn-couple-of-crank-turns before my 350 TBI starts in cold
weather...

-Mika
>The 2.5 DIS uses a module with the equivalent of two HEI modules and a
>master controller. The crank disk has six evenly spaced slots with a
>seventh slot closely spaced to the #1TDC slot. The controller lets the
>engine crank until it sees the double slot and then fires alternate
>modules every third slot. These modules cost about $100 new. You would
>need two disks on the crank, phased at 90 degrees and some way to send
>alternate ECM fire pulses to each module. This might not be the most
practical way to go.