additional thoughts...caddy-olds and the buick

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Nov 12 03:13:18 GMT 1999

gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu wrote:

> Right on the money Shannen ,Your thinking what I was thinking of doing with
> the 4 cly coil paks, the  2 crank sensors 90 deg ,ref pulses, 1 coilpak
> master, 2nd coilpak slave   ect. I would batch fire the injectors so you
> wouldn't need a cam sensor. The north star system would of course work, but
> I thought we were looking for a cheap alternative. I have also wanted to try
> 4 pickup coils 90 deg around the balancer ,each pickup feeding a 7 term HEI
> module. The HEI module would fire a coilpak. All controlled by the ECM,batch
> fire the injectors. The Ref pulses would need to be figured out. Interesting
> stuff.
>
> Don
New thoughts.  1 module, 1 sensor, 4 coil packs.  2 packs each tied to
common power, alternate trigger between the two.  My Q is whether or
not the 4 cyl module will care if it has extra crank pulses between #1
and #1.
Double coil thing... At one time I was working on an HEI version of
the old dual point "flamethrower" distributor.  Dual coils, flip/flop
between the 2.  Is the HEI rpm limited because the coil can't be
saturated?
Shannen