Vette 165 vs F-body

Mark Romans romans at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 13 06:07:53 GMT 1999

You can use the vet prom dump in a camaro firebird.  The maps are all in
exactly the same places.  There may be some differences in how the Canister
purge stuff is set.  There are also much different values in the spark map.
(The vet uses a lot more timing advance). Fuel maps in the ones I have
looked at are the same.  Both applications use EGR.  The vet uses an
external one, the f body uses an internal one.  They both use the same o2
sensor.  If you are running more than 9.5 to one compression the vet prom
will have too much timing and will detonate.   I use a single wire with
coated headers and it's fine.  I probably should switch to a heated sensor
but haven't done it yet and it seems to work fine.  If the car is fully
warmed up it does not drop out of closed loop at idle.  Just watch out for
detonation with the vet code.
Mark