Vette 165 vs F-body

Gabe gellett at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 06:25:13 GMT 1999

Mark Romans wrote:

> You can use the vet prom dump in a camaro firebird.  The maps are all in
> exactly the same places.  There may be some differences in how the Canister
> purge stuff is set.  There are also much different values in the spark map.
> (The vet uses a lot more timing advance). Fuel maps in the ones I have
> looked at are the same.  Both applications use EGR.  The vet uses an
> external one, the f body uses an internal one.  They both use the same o2
> sensor.  If you are running more than 9.5 to one compression the vet prom
> will have too much timing and will detonate.   I use a single wire with
> coated headers and it's fine.  I probably should switch to a heated sensor
> but haven't done it yet and it seems to work fine.  If the car is fully
> warmed up it does not drop out of closed loop at idle.  Just watch out for
> detonation with the vet code.
> Mark

The Vette has more advance due to the aluminum heads allowing for it.

As for hooking up the 3-wire (heated) sensor, just hook one of the extra
wires to gnd, and the other one to ign +12.  I have a part number for a
Bosch that was originally used in a chrysler that will work.  It is only
about $45 from Autozone, if anyone is interested.

Gabe