Choking a TPI 383

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Sun Nov 14 06:53:49 GMT 1999

I know that with my 89 5.7 based MAF system, and almost stock TPI 22# system I'll need to do some work on the air AND fuel AND control system to let this engine work to its potential,  In the meantime, I have to be sure that the thing wont run out of fuel during long periods of WOT, at least until I get a MAP conversion underway or until I do one of the creative MAF solutions.

First I thought a restrictor plate between the TB and plenum, then thought I'd have to experiment with different diameters. Then I thought a throttle stop maybe. then I thought to use some really dirty filters (just a joke) ...I just have to make sure theres only 220-240 G/S of air maximum. what does anyone think? I guess I could even pull the spark back far enough (flat?) so the thing only makes 85% of its power but they say banging the pistons too much in the wrong side of the stroke isn't really good. The 22# injectors are good (with some FP) to like 325 hp- which is fine for now, and maybe fine for good.

This all may sound strange - what it is is that I'll have the bottom end installed waay before I have the supporting stuff all set up, and am curious what the thing will do (E.T., as a study) with (nearly) stock intake / exhaust parts on a 10.3:1 383.

Maybe the stock intake parts are going to do the restriction job for me just the way they are ;-?

lookin for creative, safe, effective "use the ECM settings to reduce the power" solutions, or any other comments.... ECM rooted, of coarse ;-)