Choking a TPI 383

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Nov 14 05:05:35 GMT 1999

  Subject: Choking a TPI 383

  First I thought a restrictor plate between the TB and plenum, then thought I'd have to experiment with different diameters. Then I thought a throttle stop maybe. then I thought to use some really dirty filters (just a joke) ...I just have to make sure theres only 220-240 G/S of air maximum. what does anyone think?

  Ya might be overthinking it.  The motor will use more than the 240grms/sec., and beyond that level it doesn't see any increase.  So just be conservative with the timing, and you should be OK.  For 320 Hp personally I wouldn't get inna twist over that. Now, crank it up to 375, and then we would need to readdress it.  Your losing resolution which is power, but now your not hunting for max HP.

   I guess I could even pull the spark back far enough (flat?) so the thing only makes 85% of its power but they say banging the pistons too much in the wrong side of the stroke isn't really good.

  Why/Who said that?.  Within reason, I can't off hand see a problem.  Assuming mixture is right.  If ya really are worried run an EGT..

  The 22# injectors are good (with some FP) to like 325 hp- which is fine for now, and maybe fine for good.

  This all may sound strange - what it is is that I'll have the bottom end installed waay before I have the supporting stuff all set up, and am curious what the thing will do (E.T., as a study) with (nearly) stock intake / exhaust parts on a 10.3:1 383.

  Used to be a copy of drag strip plus in the archives, was within the converter slippage as right with my F-bod.

  Maybe the stock intake parts are going to do the restriction job for me just the way they are ;-?

  lookin for creative, safe, effective "use the ECM settings to reduce the power" solutions, or any other comments.... ECM rooted, of coarse ;-)

  Mechanically every engine has it's limit.  Sometimes just using the ecm as designed ain't that bad.  As I recall this was about a 6 PSI S/C application right?.
  Grumpy