Correct VSS for 95 4L60-E?

Luke B. Joseph lukej at netpath.net
Fri Nov 19 04:56:53 GMT 1999

       (95 9C1 LT1 and 4L60-E in 85 Monte SS)
I have read the archives and my gm shop manual and determend that I have the
wrong set up for my tranny and LT1.  The fact that it is not shifting
anymore is also a dead giveaway.  I am a litte confused on the best solution
to my problem though.  Currently I have a the correct gear placed in the
tranny to drive my speedo cable with a Howell 4 pulse/rev VSS in line.
Prior to this the tanny shifted fine but I had no speedometer.  My gm manual
says that the output of the VSS is a ac voltage that varies from .5v  at 100
rpms to 100v at 8K rpm.  It also says that there are two signals being used
one is a 2002 pulses per mile signal that  is used by the engine the other
is a 40 pules per rev signal used by the tranny.  The archives and JTR say
that for 94+ RWD cars with auto trans a 40 tooth reluctor is used for VSS.
It seems that I have the following choices and I could use some help in
choosing the correct one.
                                1) Use the present setup and convert the
signal similar to what Charles Morgan did (Archives).
                                       but will this provide both signal to
engine and tranny, I do have snap crackle pop back fire in deceleration.

                                 2) Use  the stock setup and use JTR
digitaly fed electric motor to turn speedo cable.

                                 3) Find correct in line converter, if it
exists.

                                 4) Use the stock setup and install a
digital speedo similar to OEM

                                 5) Use the stock setup and use" true