Correct VSS for 95 4L60-E?

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Nov 19 05:17:39 GMT 1999

Luke B. Joseph wrote:

>        (95 9C1 LT1 and 4L60-E in 85 Monte SS)
> I have read the archives and my gm shop manual and determend that I have the
> wrong set up for my tranny and LT1.  The fact that it is not shifting
> anymore is also a dead giveaway.  I am a litte confused on the best solution
> to my problem though.  Currently I have a the correct gear placed in the
> tranny to drive my speedo cable with a Howell 4 pulse/rev VSS in line.
> Prior to this the tanny shifted fine but I had no speedometer.
<snip>
>  The archives and JTR say
> that for 94+ RWD cars with auto trans a 40 tooth reluctor is used for VSS.
> It seems that I have the following choices and I could use some help in
> choosing the correct one.
>                                 1) Use the present setup and convert the
> signal similar to what Charles Morgan did (Archives).
>                                        but will this provide both signal to
> engine and tranny, I do have snap crackle pop back fire in deceleration.

The Monte has a VSS in the speedometer which will have a 2000
pulse/mile output.  If you drive the cable mechanically, you'll have a
2k speed signal available there plus a 4k signal from your Howell
sensor.    You'll have to provide a high resolution signal for the
PCM.

>                                  2) Use  the stock setup and use JTR
> digitaly fed electric motor to turn speedo cable.
Using the 40 pulse/rev of the trans is is prolly the easiest method,
as long as the electric motor is reliable and accurate.

>                                  3) Find correct in line converter, if it
> exists.
Not likely to find one that's right.  The speedo cable turns 1k rev/
mi as a standard.

>                                  4) Use the stock setup and install a
> digital speedo similar to OEM
That's an option, not necessary.  Might look kewl, tho.

>                                  5) Use the stock setup and use" true
> digital  speedo"    0 = stop   1 = WOT
Is it illegal to use a radar gun to check your speed?  LOL.  Mount it
on the dash and never get a convictable speeding ticket again.

>                                  6)  Open for other suggestions.
I've got a 60 second timer and a tachometer in my Chevelle. 3k rpm in
4th is 60 mph.
Shannen