What sort of signal is the knock sensor?

Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com
Tue Nov 23 21:47:12 GMT 1999

 I have been experimenting with ESC modules and knock sensors and have found
that both detect a wide range of frequencies.
By using the output of a HP3324A function generator connected to  DR 562
knock sensor coupled with a 1/4 pipe to another DR 562 knock sensor I was
able to track the freq. curve of the sensor. The sensor responds to
sine,square and triangle waveforms with no
loss of signal output. With 1 V-PP sine wave in and monitoring the output
with a scope the DR 562 sweet spot was 6KHZ. A loud tone could be heard at
6KHZ indicating resonance.  7-10KHZ had good outputs. The voltage dropped
off at 12 KHZ . An output was observed up to 50KHZ very small amplitude  4
MV-PP.   The ESC modules that I have tested so far are  HKD,HKM,HKR,BLN,AFWB
and ANRZ. With the DR562 det sensor all ESC modules responded at 6,9,10 KHZ.
The ESC output is approx. 10 VDC with no knock and goes to 0 VDC for Millsec
then back to 10 VDC with knock. All ESC testing was at 10 VPP sine wave
input into the first DR 562. the second DR 562 outputs to the ESC module.
The ESC output toggles low/high with each knock like a one shot
multivibrator and never has a continuous low output. When I find some more
knock sensors I'll run a profile on them.

Don