What sort of signal is the knock sensor?

Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com
Tue Nov 23 22:48:37 GMT 1999

I 'm using a 1.5 inch threaded pipe (1/4 inch NPT)  I removed the pipe and
butted the  sensors together. This did not provide enough coupling to
trigger the ESC. I don't have any more NPT pipe so  I then filled the pipe
with ultrasonic coupling fluid to see if the cavity was resonating. 6KHz was
still the sweet spot although a little quieter now.  I believe each det
sensor being a peizo transducer has been tuned like a quartz crystal at a
certain freq. (6KHZ)  By using two  DR 562 sensors they both are in
resonance at 6 KHZ. I need to find more det sensors as I only have one of
certain types right now. The DR 562 is by far the easiest to find being used
on V8's , V6's four's carbed and injected. I'm looking for Quad  4 sensors
to test believing that they will be tuned  higher to mask the bucket tappets
and chain noise.
                                                 Don