VSS question & project report

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Nov 24 00:49:47 GMT 1999

There are some situations where a factory VSS is difficult or
undesirable to use.  If the vehicle getting efi has a mechanical
speedometer and the owner wants to keep the factory dash, then you can
use an inline type of sensor to generate a speed signal.  Or if the
particular trans never came with a VSS, then an inline sensor is
used.  Now these "taxicab" units are purely mystery to me, as I've
never found one in a junkyard and haven't seen any part numbers posted
for them.  Same for the mid '80s A body units.  I've got it from a
reputable source that they exist, but I haven't been able to find a
part number or a junkyard car with one.  So, time + trouble included,
I usually buy an aftermarket VSS.
Shannen