LS1 goodies.

Ernst denBroeder edenbroe at cisco.com
Fri Nov 26 15:27:25 GMT 1999

>Holden's stated Fuel Economy figures are not much worse than the 3800 of a
>few years back, how?. Are the PCM's running these LS1's a new generation?,
>do they run very lean at cruise?.
Fuel economy has (almost) nothing to do with the ECM/PCM.  It's the efficiency of the motor and drive train and body style that permits the high fuel economy that these motors get.

I'm still amazed my wife's stock carburetored 5.0L 1983 Trans Am gets 100km/8.9L (26mpg), this is almost as good as some of the new cars on the market today...  It has everything to do a slippery body, efficient tranny (TH200-R4) and a well tuned motor.  Let me stress, the motor in this car is 100% stock...  it has never been dismantled for repair and it has 140,000km on it.  Prior to the tranny swap (used to have 3spd TH200C) the best mileage the car would get was just over 20mpg.

/Ernst