165 MAF and 808 MAP - differences for turbo apps?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Nov 28 01:01:26 GMT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Gargano <peter at ntserver.techedge.com.au>
Subject: 165 MAF and 808 MAP - differences for turbo apps?

| Am I misguided in thinking I'll be better of with MAF for turbo?

Not really, but there are some considerations:
  With your relatively small engine the "normal" problem of out flowing the
MAF
    isn't a problem.
  The MAF sensor is expensive, IMHO.
  Turbo ain't as responsive as N/A so a slight delay, and over rich
acclearation
    enrichment really isn't a problem.

MAP Considerations:
  All the oem stuff is limited to 2 bar applications, and 14 PSI is just
where the fun
    starts in my book.
  MAP sensor cheaper
  Impossible to out flow the MAP sensor.
  Crisper accleration enrichment, IMHO

Things to consider:
  DIS
  Selection of 2-3 bar MAP
  Adaptation of more than 1 MAF
  Replacement parts.
  SEFI

Code options
  90 GPT 3.1 Turbo (MAP, DIS)
  91 syty (MAP, Distributor)
  87 GN (MAF, DIS, C3,SEFI)
  808 (MAP-but no bar options!!, DIS or not)
  CSH, HQ mystery ecm (MAF {so far}, DIS, SEFI, P4)
Grumpy