165 MAF and 808 MAP - differences for turbo apps?

Peter Gargano peter at ntserver.techedge.com.au
Sat Nov 27 22:00:10 GMT 1999

Am I misguided in thinking I'll be better of with MAF for turbo?

My own, longer term, EFI project is to turbo a 1500cc flat 4 Alfa (1980
AlfaSud Sprint), using my own plumbing, and as much stuff from a VN or
later model 3.8L V6 Holden Commodore as possible. (Well, the flat 4 is just
like a Buick V6 really, 2 less pistons, 180 degree crank throws, cam
belts, ...)

The VN uses an 808 and a MAP system, the 165 is a MAF system. As far
as I know, the ECUs are exactly the same (except the 808 doesn't have
the 8192 baud driver/transciever chip). As I understand it, newer model
Commodores use a MAF system, but with a different ECU (but not that
different to the 808/165).

So, should I be looking at using a MAF system for a turbo application?
Or sticking with the MAP system? Either way, it seems the 808 will work,
just need different code, and sensor(s).

Anyone else doing anything like this?
--
Peter Gargano