Will there be a list??

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Mon Nov 29 02:40:19 GMT 1999

> That's why several of us here have suggested one list, at least temporarily
> until a permanent home can be found.  No bandwidth limits, choice of digest
> or live modes etc, built in archives etc.

Nothing wrong with that.  Its what I do here :)

> Just seems that the admins are against any use of a "public" server for
> some reason.

Well, a public server makes it less of a headache to get free or nearly
free bandwith - its someone elses problem, but a lot of the potentially
fancy stuff they might need or choose to do might become a problem.
Some public servers don't allow CGI scripts - for security reasons.
Also, sometimes they limit hard disk space.  I know from running my own
server, digests and archives do eat up a lot of space.

For example, my "Low Fangler Tech" list, since its inception
approximately a year and a half ago, has created almost 60MB of
uncompressed archived messages, at about 60-70 messages a day.  With
DIYEFI and GMECM being higher volume, I bet the archive space is
collossal by comparison.

Actually next weekend, I'll be upgrading disk space on several servers -
little 4gig drives just don't cut it anymore LOL.

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology

Tele: (203) 372-2707