Why not a private news server?

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 29 16:59:03 GMT 1999

At 10:28 AM 11/29/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, David Cooley wrote:
>

> > >As it is right now spammers would have no problem getting on the list, but
> > >we dont really have a problem with it, do we?
> >

> > Actually they do... The list requires a VALID email address that can be
> > verified before the subscriber can post.  News servers, Public and private
> > do not.
>
>How hard is it to get a valid email?  yahoo, hotmail, and a thousand other
>free email services

Yes, but if they don't respond they don't get to post.  If they do respond,
then spam, they can be tracked down.  Yahoo, Hotmail, Excite etc all log
where the connection came from, so the dial up account they use will have a
record of who was dialed in to that port at that time.

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!