Why not a private news server?

gabe gellett at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 29 17:10:08 GMT 1999

I wonder if you have a clear understanding of the technology (or if you have stock
in Onelist ;) ).

How, first of all, how would a spammer find our private news server without a
really knowing we are there (as we would NOT, I repeat NOT be on the USENET), and
second of all, how would he then post without a valid userid and password (which
could be setup as an e-mail address)?????  Spammers are lazy, and will not go thru
that much trouble to spam a small, specialized group such as ourselves.

A private news server would be invisible unless you know it's there, kinda like
having a web server on the net, but not advertising it's existence and not being
on the search engines.  No one can find you without directly typing your address,
then when they do, they need a username and password to view or post.

It's absolutely, at least as spam proof as Onelist, probably more.

You must be misunderstanding a what a private news server is.  Like I said, even
the free NNTP server that comes with NT will accomplish what we need, and keep
spammers out (UNIX is probably far superior).  I setup this very senario on my own
NT server in about 1 minute.

The only interest I have is keeping the list and archives going in the best way
possible.
Gabe