Why not a private news server?

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 clive at problem.tantech.com
Mon Nov 29 17:44:33 GMT 1999

> I wonder if you have a clear understanding of the technology (or if you have stock
> in Onelist ;) ).
>
> How, first of all, how would a spammer find our private news server without a
> really knowing we are there (as we would NOT, I repeat NOT be on the USENET), and

and if someone is intersted in EFI how will they find the list
from a link on EFI332
gee, do thing maybe a spammer could find that?

> second of all, how would he then post without a valid userid and password (which
> could be setup as an e-mail address)?????  Spammers are lazy, and will not go thru
> that much trouble to spam a small, specialized group such as ourselves.

BZZZT

wrong answer
thanks for playing
I have had this happen on a few lists I am on
A specialized group is the best target for spammers
especially if thay have what *THEY* think is a relevant product

> A private news server would be invisible unless you know it's there, kinda like
> having a web server on the net, but not advertising it's existence and not being
> on the search engines.  No one can find you without directly typing your address,
> then when they do, they need a username and password to view or post.

anyone can get a valid username from hotmail

> It's absolutely, at least as spam proof as Onelist, probably more.
>
> You must be misunderstanding a what a private news server is.  Like I said, even
> the free NNTP server that comes with NT will accomplish what we need, and keep
> spammers out (UNIX is probably far superior).  I setup this very senario on my own
> NT server in about 1 minute.

there may possibly also be some people using software/ISPs
 that do not allow them to pick which newsserver they use

this is another problem

> The only interest I have is keeping the list and archives going in the best way
> possible.
an so do the rest of us
a private newsserver is not the answer
an alternate list is