Why not a private news server?

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 clive at problem.tantech.com
Mon Nov 29 19:47:33 GMT 1999

> If they (spammers) are that determined they will get to us with any solution we take.

exactly

> I am not badmouthing anything, I was just stating my opinion, I personally think
> changing 2 or 3 times will cause problems and cause a loss of interest for some
> users.  If we can do this right the first time, why don't we try.

every time we move we are bound to lose a few members and have some problems

> There have already been a couple of offers put on the table for a minimal or no

what about the sunsite offer
their equip and service is very reliable

> > there may possibly also be some people using software/ISPs
> > that do not allow them to pick which newsserver they use
>
> An ISP does not care what news server you use any more than what website you view.
> If your newsreader cannot support going to a our private server, time to donate a few
> minutes to downloading one of the many freeware news clients that do.

not an option here
I have trn running on a SCO box
there is no option on this verion to enable alternate newsservers and
there is no free/shareware version available that is compatible
the admin will not allow it
security issues etc.

not everone iw runnign a MickyCrap OS ( or wants to)

> The only person that this solution would hurt is a person who only has a Juno account
> with no actual internet access.

also webtv and a few others

> > anyone can get a valid username from hotmail
>
> Yep, and if they spam from it, they get nailed.

and then they change accounts and do it again
it is very easy to get an untracable account
especially iof you layer through a bunch of flakey ISPs ahtta are bound to go
under, as soon as one is gone the path is broken

> Doesn't onelist publicize our group much more and open the door for those
> "persistent" spammers.

not they just sell banner space at the bottom of each message
veyr easy to get in the habit of ignoring

> but an immediately appearing private news server, if you don't like supplying a
> password everytime, setup your password in your news reader, it will provide it
> automatically whenever needed.

mine won't
and there are no options

I prefer maillists