Why not a private news server?

gabe gellett at spam.net
Mon Nov 29 22:22:14 GMT 1999

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 wrote:
<snip>

> I have trn running on a SCO box
> there is no option on this verion to enable alternate newsservers and
> there is no free/shareware version available that is compatible
> the admin will not allow it
> security issues etc.
>
> not everone iw runnign a MickyCrap OS ( or wants to)

Just a thought, but....

I am by no means a MS lover, but you are the one complaining that your OS cannot do this
and cannot do that, and software is not avail., etc.  It seems to me that you don't need to
be casting OS stones.

If there are quite a few of us out there that cannot read News, then that is a valid reason
not to consider a Private news server, the other reasons so far are quite lame though.

It was just a suggestion for a low bandwidth/good security permanent solution, free of
using an outside source/advertiser, I certainly hope others with suggestions do not get
discouraged to post their ideas for fear of getting ripped into.....  Maybe Sunsite IS the
way to go, haven't looked at it.

PC's are pretty cheap these days, maybe it's time to consider buying one for home use so
that you are not at the mercy of "The Admin" (heck make it a unix box if that makes you
happy ;-) )....

Gabe